NEW ORLEANS (AP) — An inmate hospitalized after a suicide attempt in the New Orleans jail has died. He is the third suicidal inmate to die since the new jail opened in September 2015.
The Orleans Parish Sheriff’s Office said in a news release Monday that it was notified that Jamaine Johnson died Saturday.
The 23-year-old Johnson had been in serious condition since being taken to the hospital on May 11 after trying to hang himself with bedding.
He had been jailed on firearm charges.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Aide: Trump dismissed Jan. 6 threats, wanted to join crowd
- Ghislaine Maxwell sentenced to 20 years for helping Epstein
- Ocasio-Cortez wants 2 justices impeached for ‘lying under oath’
- Trump tried to strangle Secret Service agent in attempt to reach Capitol on Jan. 6, aide testifies
- The story behind AP report that caused Trump to throw lunch
New Orleans opened a new jail in September 2015. Officials are working under a federal court agreement for reforms to stop violence and improve medical and mental health care in the lockup. But federal monitors say progress has been slow.