NEW YORK (AP) — New York City health officials say a resident in a Queens high-rise apartment building has died after contracting Legionnaires’ disease.
A second person in the same apartment building also contracted the disease but recovered. Both cases were reported in a two-month period.
The New York City Department of Health is working with the building management to test the plumbing for legionella bacteria.
Symptoms of the disease are similar to the flu. In 2015, there were multiple clusters of Legionnaires’ disease in the Bronx. Twelve people died in the largest one, which was in the South Bronx.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- An old medicine grows new hair for pennies a day, doctors say
- Part of a foot, in a shoe, spotted in Yellowstone hot spring
- Officials warn of misleading COVID rapid test results: Sick but 'negative'
- Colorado homeowner emptied pistol to kill bear that broke in
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events