CANTON, Ohio (AP) — Police officials say a man who wandered away from an Ohio nursing home had not been reported missing when an officer gave him a ride to the gas station where he was found dead two days later.
The Canton Repository reports Canton Police Capt. David Kurzinsky said Thursday that the officer picked up 56-year-old Mark Billiter Sunday night and drove him to a gas station about 4 miles (6 kilometers) from the nursing home.
Billiter was found dead Tuesday sitting against the station.
His family reported him missing Monday morning. Police then contacted the nursing home, which has declined to comment. Billiter’s family says he suffered from dementia following a heart attack.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- How to find a quality mask (and avoid counterfeits)
- They relied on rapid COVID tests to gather safely; now some wish they hadn't
- New sequence of images shows Tonga volcano's devastation
- Popular TV anchor catches COVID for a second time: 'This virus is scary'
- Tonga volcano's eruption was so forceful, it may have helped clear Seattle's fog
Canton police and the Stark County Sheriff’s Office are investigating Billiter’s death.
Information from: The Repository, http://www.cantonrep.com