ELIZABETH, N.J. (AP) — A man convicted in a deadly stabbing outside a New Jersey nightclub has been sentenced to 52 years in prison.
Union County prosecutors say Rosendo Salomon Gomez-Serpas and Mario Ortiz started fighting inside the Elizabeth club in April 2016. The brawl soon spilled out into the parking lot, where the 25-year-old Gomez-Serpas stabbed the 30-year-old Ortiz five times.
The stabbing was captured on surveillance video. Authorities say Ortiz’s blood was found on Gomez-Serpas’ hat and inside his vehicle.
Gomez-Serpas was convicted murder and two weapons offenses last month. He will have to serve nearly 49 years of the sentence imposed Friday before he becomes eligible for parole.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Florida athletes could be required to submit their menstrual history to schools
- Pentagon: Chinese spy balloon spotted over Western US
- Police now say no evidence of planned big Hollywood shooting
- Should you be worried about infection from eye drops?
- Can a trillion-dollar coin break the debt gridlock in Washington?
Authorities have not said what sparked the brawl.