MANASSAS, Va. (AP) — A convicted sex offender who was sentenced last week to 48 years in the 1975 killings of two young Maryland sisters has pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting two other girls in northern Virginia in 1996.
Lloyd Lee Welch Jr. entered his guilty pleas Thursday in Prince William Circuit Court as part of a plea agreement with prosecutors to resolve the 1996 cases as well as the 1975 slayings of 10-year-old Katherine Lyon and 12-year-old Sheila Lyon.
In court Thursday, both victims in the 1996 assaults told the 60-year-old Welch that the attacks traumatized them.
One victim told him she became “destructive and self-hating,” but eventually turned her life around. She told Welch: “Checkmate, I win!”
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump’s shifting explanations follow a familiar playbook
- In America's fastest-growing metro, a rising fear water will run out
- The coming California megastorm
- Anne Heche, TV, film and stage actor, dies at 53 from injuries sustained in L.A. car crash
- As risk of nuclear war grows, study warns even a limited exchange would doom billions
Welch apologized before he was sentenced to 12 years.