ROYALTON, N.Y. (AP) — Authorities say a western New York man was struck and killed by a vehicle as he was cleaning debris from an earlier accident that killed his dog.
Niagara County Sheriff’s deputies say the dog had been hit by a car in the town of Royalton, north of Buffalo, just before dawn Monday. Deputies say 55-year-old Robert Strassel moved the animal from the roadway and was trying to clear debris from the road when he was hit by another car driven by 23-year-old Michael Rider Jr., of Barker.
Strassel was flown to Erie County Medical Center where he later died.
The sheriff’s office said the accident investigation is continuing.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Seattle scientist digs up deleted coronavirus genetic data, adding fuel to COVID origin debate
- Many feared dead after Florida beachfront condo collapses
- Study finds correlation between high-fat Western diet and pain
- Washington state extremist pays a price after unmasking by left
- Parkland parents tricked ex-NRA president into a 'graduation speech' to empty chairs representing gun victims
This story has been corrected to show that the age of the victim was 55, not 53.