ROYALTON, N.Y. (AP) — Authorities say a western New York man was struck and killed by a vehicle as he was cleaning debris from an earlier accident that killed his dog.
Niagara County Sheriff’s deputies say the dog had been hit by a car in the town of Royalton, north of Buffalo, just before dawn Monday. Deputies say 55-year-old Robert Strassel moved the animal from the roadway and was trying to clear debris from the road when he was hit by another car driven by 23-year-old Michael Rider Jr., of Barker.
Strassel was flown to Erie County Medical Center where he later died.
The sheriff’s office said the accident investigation is continuing.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Is it time to change the definition of ‘fully vaccinated’?
- Parents of accused Michigan school shooter have ties to Issaquah
- A white teacher taught white students about white privilege. It cost him his job
- Hikers found dead on California trail spent final moments trying to save baby, report says
- CDC issues 'very high' risk warning for travel to France, Portugal
This story has been corrected to show that the age of the victim was 55, not 53.