ENGLEWOOD, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say a 6-year-old Florida boy is dead after his father pinned him against a couch while the man and his girlfriend played video games Christmas Eve.
Local media outlets report that 31-year-old James Dearman was charged Thursday with aggravated manslaughter of a child.
A Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office report says Dearman and his live-in girlfriend told the victim and his 7-year-old brother to go to bed but the boys continue to run around. Dearman’s girlfriend told deputies that the father eventually became angry and used his full body weight to pin his younger son to the couch.
The report says the couple eventually realized the child wasn’t breathing, so Dearman called 911 and began performing CPR. The boy was later pronounced dead at Englewood Hospital.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- A nurse and her entire family contracted COVID-19 under one roof. It started with a 'selfless' car ride.
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Pentagon blocks visits to military spy agencies by Biden transition team
- California imposing its strongest coronavirus limits since the spring
- As thousands of athletes get coronavirus tests, nurses wonder: What about us?
Dearman was being held on $1 million bail. Jail records didn’t list an attorney.