DAYTON, Ohio (AP) — An Ohio man charged with fatally shooting his former girlfriend and two other people has pleaded guilty and been sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.
Montgomery County’s prosecutor says 62-year-old Muhammad Shabazz Ali pleaded guilty Friday to aggravated murder and other charges including kidnapping.
Ali previously was known as Robert Ford Jr. He could have faced a potential death penalty if convicted at trial in the 2016 slayings. His attorney hasn’t returned a call seeking comment.
Police say Ali went to a Dayton home in August 2016 and killed his former girlfriend 53-year-old Tammy Cox; her son, 25-year-old Michael Cox; and 74-year-old Jasper Taylor.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Did you see that painting hanging behind Trump during ‘60 Minutes’ interview? Here's what we know about it
- This major discovery upends long-held theories about the Maya civilization
- Saudi government acknowledges Khashoggi was killed while visiting Saudi consulate
- If you win tonight's huge Mega Millions jackpot, here's what to do next
- Washington tops all states in anti-corruption ranking
Authorities say Ali had been released earlier that day from a hospital where he was taken for a mental health evaluation.