DAYTON, Ohio (AP) — An Ohio man charged with fatally shooting his former girlfriend and two other people has pleaded guilty and been sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.
Montgomery County’s prosecutor says 62-year-old Muhammad Shabazz Ali pleaded guilty Friday to aggravated murder and other charges including kidnapping.
Ali previously was known as Robert Ford Jr. He could have faced a potential death penalty if convicted at trial in the 2016 slayings. His attorney hasn’t returned a call seeking comment.
Police say Ali went to a Dayton home in August 2016 and killed his former girlfriend 53-year-old Tammy Cox; her son, 25-year-old Michael Cox; and 74-year-old Jasper Taylor.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Scary statistic: 90.5 percent of plastic is not recycled
- Judge delays Flynn sentencing, 'not hiding disgust' at crime WATCH
- A Paradise fire cleanup crew joked about ruins and a charred cat. Then the town found out.
- 'Laverne & Shirley' star, 'Big' director Penny Marshall dies VIEW
- Retired Army general set to be tried on charges of abusing daughter
Authorities say Ali had been released earlier that day from a hospital where he was taken for a mental health evaluation.