DAYTON, Ohio (AP) — An Ohio man charged with fatally shooting his former girlfriend and two other people has pleaded guilty and been sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.
Montgomery County’s prosecutor says 62-year-old Muhammad Shabazz Ali pleaded guilty Friday to aggravated murder and other charges including kidnapping.
Ali previously was known as Robert Ford Jr. He could have faced a potential death penalty if convicted at trial in the 2016 slayings. His attorney hasn’t returned a call seeking comment.
Police say Ali went to a Dayton home in August 2016 and killed his former girlfriend 53-year-old Tammy Cox; her son, 25-year-old Michael Cox; and 74-year-old Jasper Taylor.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Smollett developments leave some baffled, others outraged
- He threw away a napkin at a hockey game. It was used to charge him in a 1993 murder.
- Amid Trump’s crackdown, thousands of asylum-seekers on the border are giving up
- Obama quietly gives advice to 2020 Democrats, but no endorsement
- Fire deaths rise to 71 ahead of Trump's California visit WATCH
Authorities say Ali had been released earlier that day from a hospital where he was taken for a mental health evaluation.