NORTON SHORES, Mich. (AP) — Authorities say a western Michigan shoplifting suspect charged in a fatal crash while fleeing police has died while awaiting trial.
Muskegon County authorities say 38-year-old Victor Thompson of Grand Rapids died Dec. 27 at a Grand Rapids hospital. He had been jailed in Kent County in a stalking and retail fraud case, but was released early before the Aug. 17 crash after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.
Police say the car collided with an SUV, killing 92-year-old Duane Quigg of Norton Shores and seriously injuring his passenger, 90-year-old Elaine Carsok of Norton Shores. An obituary from Klaassen Family Funeral Home says she died on Dec. 28.
Thompson was facing murder and other charges. He was jailed in Muskegon County, but moved to a hospital after his health declined.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Turkey: 'Atrocious' recording suggests killer used drugs VIEW
- In Malibu, Woolsey Fire claims celebrities' homes
- Sheriff: California wildfire's death toll rises to 48 WATCH
- A reader's guide to 12 Trump administration targets House Democrats are preparing to investigate
- Utility emailed Northern California woman about power-line problems 1 day before fire