ASBURY PARK, N.J. (AP) — A man charged in a shooting that left a 10-year-old boy dead and his mother wounded will soon be returned to New Jersey.
Authorities say 18-year-old Karon Council, of Neptune Township, waived extradition during a hearing Tuesday in Florida. He had been arrested there Sunday night.
Council is charged with murder, conspiracy, aggravated assault and weapons offenses in the Feb. 21 shooting at an Asbury Park home. Authorities say Council had been involved in an altercation with a man who lived at the home and, when he couldn’t find him there, he opened fire.
Yovanni Banos-Merino died shortly after the shooting. His 38-year-old mother, Lilia Merino, was treated at a hospital for her wounds.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- US downs Chinese balloon, drawing a threat from China
- George Santos is accused of sexual harassment in his Capitol office
- Florida athletes could be required to submit their menstrual history to schools
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Metal detector hobbyist finds a 500-year-old pendant linked to Henry VIII
A 16-year-old Neptune Township boy, believed to be Council’s accomplice, also faces charges in the shooting.