NORFOLK, Va. (AP) — A Virginia man accused of murder in the shooting death of his 4-year-old son has made a brief court appearance.
Rayvon A. Messer wiped tears from his eyes as he sat shackled in a Norfolk courtroom Friday. A judge appointed an attorney for him and scheduled hearings to review his bail and the charges.
A group of family members sat behind Messer, some crying and telling him they loved him as he was led back to jail.
Rayvon A. Messer Jr. was found with a gunshot wound outside his father’s home Wednesday evening. His father faces a count of second-degree murder.
Most Read Stories
- Everett’s bikini baristas head to federal court to argue for freedom of exposure
- A Washington syrah was named second best wine in the world
- Anthony Bourdain's 'Parts Unknown' came to Seattle: What did you think of the episode?
- Parents, adult son believed dead in Sammamish murder-suicide
- Look at some of the weird places people put shared bikes in Seattle
Police have released few details. Desmond Sessoms, Messer’s stepfather, told The Associated Press that the 26-year-old loved his son and would never intentionally hurt the boy.