CAPE CORAL, Fla. (AP) — A southwest Florida man has been charged with raping and killing an 11-year-old girl and her baby sitter 26 years ago.
The Cape Coral Daily Breeze (https://goo.gl/9g8Yuj) reported Wednesday that Cape Police Chief David Newlan says detectives learned last week that a recent arrestee at the Lee County Jail matched DNA from the old crime scene. State officials confirmed the evidence matches 54-year-old Joseph Zieler.
Authorities say the bodies of 11-year-old Robin Cornell and 32-year-old Lisa Story were found in a Cape Coral apartment in May 1990. Robin’s mother had been out for the night and discovered the suffocated bodies when she returned the next morning.
Investigators didn’t immediately know of any prior connection between Zieler and the victims.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Dead in cars and homes: Northern California fire toll at 42 VIEW
- Scientists to study the 'modern miracle' of Ozzy Osbourne's survival
- New exercise guidelines: Move more, sit less, start younger WATCH
- Heart meeting features fish oil, vitamin D, cholesterol news
- Stan Lee, creator of a galaxy of Marvel superheroes, dies VIEW
Jail records didn’t list an attorney.