CAPE CORAL, Fla. (AP) — A southwest Florida man has been charged with raping and killing an 11-year-old girl and her baby sitter 26 years ago.
The Cape Coral Daily Breeze (https://goo.gl/9g8Yuj) reported Wednesday that Cape Police Chief David Newlan says detectives learned last week that a recent arrestee at the Lee County Jail matched DNA from the old crime scene. State officials confirmed the evidence matches 54-year-old Joseph Zieler.
Authorities say the bodies of 11-year-old Robin Cornell and 32-year-old Lisa Story were found in a Cape Coral apartment in May 1990. Robin’s mother had been out for the night and discovered the suffocated bodies when she returned the next morning.
Investigators didn’t immediately know of any prior connection between Zieler and the victims.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Extra pilot saved doomed Lion Air jetliner on next-to-last flight
- DNA testing helps police confirm Ted Bundy killed missing Utah teen
- Kellyanne Conway dismisses her husband's concerns that President Trump's mental health is deteriorating
- Witness describes death plunge of two Yosemite climbers
- Tens of thousands converge on California 'poppy apocalypse' VIEW
Jail records didn’t list an attorney.