COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — Authorities say a 23-year-old South Carolina man has been charged in the fatal shooting of his girlfriend, who was left in a wheelchair outside a hospital.
The Richland County Sherriff’s Office announced Monday that Albertus Lewis faces a charge of murder. Previously he was charged with obstruction of justice.
Authorities said 20-year-old Mayra Sanchez was found about 4:30 a.m. on July 5 at a hospital in Columbia, the state capital, and pronounced dead by doctors. Deputies say Lewis put Sanchez in a wheelchair and left.
The woman’s mother, Guadalupe Sanchez, tells WLTX that the family had a restraining order against Lewis.
Most Read Stories
- Seattle hits record high for income inequality, now rivals San Francisco
- Anthony Bourdain brought 'Parts Unknown' to Seattle — here's where he ate
- Seattle’s crazy restaurant boom | PNW Magazine VIEW
- Seattle-Dublin nonstop flights to begin in May 2018
- Cleveland Browns waive Kasen Williams, could a return to Seahawks be in the offing?
It wasn’t immediately known if Lewis has an attorney.