CHICAGO (AP) — Authorities say a man who was kicked out of a Chicago hospital for being disruptive stole an ambulance and crashed into a light pole before being stopped by police.
The 34-year-old man was awaiting treatment for an undisclosed injury at St. Bernard Hospital in the city’s Englewood neighborhood early Tuesday when police say he was ejected by staff. Police say he took the Chicago Fire Department ambulance and hit a nearby light pole and street sign.
Officers spotted the damaged ambulance driving erratically and pulled it over. The man was taken into custody and brought back to the hospital for treatment.
Charges were pending in the theft of the ambulance.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Author Salman Rushdie attacked on lecture stage in New York
- A child abductee's journey back
- FBI searched Trump's home in part to look for nuclear documents, sources say
- Historians privately warn Biden that America's democracy is teetering
- A dog was missing. Cavers found her two months later 500 feet underground