MIDLAND, N.C. (AP) — Authorities say a man being watched by investigators has died after he sped away from an officer trying to pull him over and crashed into a tree.
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police said enough cocaine to warrant a trafficking charge was found inside the vehicle after the 1:45 p.m. Friday crash in Cabarrus County.
Charlotte officers along with Cabarrus County deputies were watching the home, and a Cabarrus County patrol car tried to pull him over as he left.
Charlotte Police said in a news release the man sped off and the deputy lost sight of him for a short time before finding the vehicle wreck into a tree and the man dead at the scene.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Hackers release data after LA school district refuses to pay ransom
- Trump escalates attacks on McConnell with 'DEATH WISH' post
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Daylight saving ends soon. Wait, didn't lawmakers vote to end this?
- More than 50 people found their tires slashed in Portland’s Roseway neighborhood, police say
The name of the dead man has not been released.