ADELANTO, Calif. (AP) — A man from Guatemala being held in the California’s biggest immigrant detention center has died after a heart attack.
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement said in a statement that 54-year-old Jose Manuel Azurida-Hernandez died Wednesday after suffering a heart attack and being hospitalized Saturday.
Azurida-Hernandez had served 16-month sentence on an attempted robbery conviction at Wasco State Prison and in June was transferred to Adelanto Detention Facility because he was in the United States illegally.
His deportation case was pending at the time of his death.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Forced to play in 'panties,' the Norwegian beach handball team decided they'd had enough
- Another coronavirus variant has reached Florida. Here's what you need to know.
- What you need to know about the CDC's new mask guidance
- Trans model makes Sports Illustrated swimsuit cover history: 'If you don't like it, you can go somewhere else'
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events