SPRINGFIELD, Ore. (AP) — Springfield police say a man who was attacked after being mistaken as a gang member was wearing a Cleveland Cavaliers jersey, not a red Portland Trail Blazers jersey as initially believed.
Lt. Scott McKee said Friday that investigators have clarified it was a LeBron James jersey.
The 45-year-old victim was walking late at night in Gamebird Park when three men challenged him about his gang affiliation. The victim was beaten after denying he belonged to a gang.
McKee said investigators believe the jersey was the basis for the July 31 confrontation.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump’s shifting explanations follow a familiar playbook
- In America's fastest-growing metro, a rising fear water will run out
- The coming California megastorm
- The fabulously wealthy are fueling a booming luxury ranch market out West
- Anne Heche, TV, film and stage actor, dies at 53 from injuries sustained in L.A. car crash
Several 911 callers reported hearing screaming, and McKee says the unprovoked attack left the victim bloodied, bruised and broken.