PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. (AP) — Authorities say a spear fisherman was badly injured in a shark attack in California.
State fire Capt. Josh Silveira says the man and his father were several hundred yards offshore Friday at Pebble Beach when the son was bitten in the right thigh.
Silveira says the man’s leg was intact but the bite was serious. The victim was taken to a trauma center for surgery but there was no immediate word on his condition.
The beach was tagged with warning signs.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Colin Powell dies, trailblazing general stained by Iraq
- Moderna vs. Pfizer: Both knockouts, but one seems to have the edge
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- At Alaska's most popular national park, climate change threatens the only road in and out
- If you’ve already had COVID, do you need a vaccine?
Silveira says there haven’t been any recent shark sightings at the Monterey County beach.
However, in March a great white shark attacked a kayak in Monterey Bay, knocking the kayaker into the water. He wasn’t bitten.