SALEM, Mass. (AP) — A Massachusetts man has been sentenced to five years’ probation for beating a transgender woman outside a club after she danced with his wife.
The Salem News reports that 43-year-old Benjamin Espino, of Lawrence, pleaded guilty Monday to three counts of assault and battery and a civil rights violation. As part of a plea deal, the civil rights violation will be dismissed after five years if Espino complies with the terms of probation.
The attack happened outside a Lawrence club in 2016. Authorities say the victim was a friend of Espino’s wife. Prosecutors say Espino called the woman a slur and attacked her after she danced with his wife.
Espino was also ordered to attend an anger management course and wear an alcohol monitoring bracelet as part of probation.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- U.S. Naval Academy: New hair rules don't apply to midshipmen
- Nation's new aircraft carrier enters next phase at shipyard
- Portland woman swerves off cliff and survives 7 days trapped on a secluded California beach
- Trump corrects his quote, says misspoke on Russian meddling WATCH
- Trump says he accepts US intelligence on Russian interference in election but denies collusion
Information from: The Salem (Mass.) News, http://www.salemnews.com