SALEM, Mass. (AP) — A Massachusetts man has been sentenced to five years’ probation for beating a transgender woman outside a club after she danced with his wife.
The Salem News reports that 43-year-old Benjamin Espino, of Lawrence, pleaded guilty Monday to three counts of assault and battery and a civil rights violation. As part of a plea deal, the civil rights violation will be dismissed after five years if Espino complies with the terms of probation.
The attack happened outside a Lawrence club in 2016. Authorities say the victim was a friend of Espino’s wife. Prosecutors say Espino called the woman a slur and attacked her after she danced with his wife.
Espino was also ordered to attend an anger management course and wear an alcohol monitoring bracelet as part of probation.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Federal judge in Texas rules Obama health-care law unconstitutional
- Interior Secretary Zinke resigns amid investigations
- George Conway calls Trump a liar after Kellyanne Conway defends president on TV
- Mounting legal threats surround Trump as nearly every organization he has led is under investigation
- 12-year-old in China kills his mother, then returns to school, igniting an outcry
Information from: The Salem (Mass.) News, http://www.salemnews.com