SALEM, Mass. (AP) — A Massachusetts man has been sentenced to five years’ probation for beating a transgender woman outside a club after she danced with his wife.
The Salem News reports that 43-year-old Benjamin Espino, of Lawrence, pleaded guilty Monday to three counts of assault and battery and a civil rights violation. As part of a plea deal, the civil rights violation will be dismissed after five years if Espino complies with the terms of probation.
The attack happened outside a Lawrence club in 2016. Authorities say the victim was a friend of Espino’s wife. Prosecutors say Espino called the woman a slur and attacked her after she danced with his wife.
Espino was also ordered to attend an anger management course and wear an alcohol monitoring bracelet as part of probation.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Owner of 3D-printed gun company accused of sex with minor
- New round of US-China tariffs raise fears of an economic Cold War
- Trump Jr. mocks sexual assault claim against Kavanaugh
- Grizzly's rare aggressive attack kills 1, puzzles officials
- Kavanaugh's accuser wants FBI probe before she testifies WATCH
Information from: The Salem (Mass.) News, http://www.salemnews.com