GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (AP) — A western Michigan man charged with killing a 16-year-old girl has been convicted of raping her.
Jurors deliberated more than five hours Thursday before finding 43-year-old Quinn James of Wyoming, Michigan, guilty of four counts of third-degree criminal sexual conduct in the assault on Mujey Dumbuya in the summer of 2017, when she was 15.
James also is charged with first-degree murder and kidnapping the girl. Her partially clothed, strangled body was found in January in Kalamazoo, about 50 miles (80 kilometers) southeast of her Grand Rapids home. A trial date hasn’t been set.
Jurors hearing the sexual conduct case were told only that Mujey was dead, not that James is charged in the case.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Japanese student goes to graduation dressed like Zelenskyy
- What we know about the Covenant school shooting in Nashville WATCH
- Probiotic supplements may do the opposite of boosting your gut health
- Police: Nashville shooter fired indiscriminately at victims WATCH
- Hawaii authorities say 33 swimmers were harassing dolphins WATCH
Sentencing on the sexual conduct charges is scheduled for Dec. 10.