TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — A 49-year-old man is accused of drowning his pet rabbit in a hotel swimming pool near Tampa.
The Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office says Steve B. Rodd of Tampa intentionally dropped the rabbit into the pool at the Vista Inn on Friday. He was charged with aggravated cruelty to animals on Monday.
Sheriff’s officials say Rodd stood on the pool deck, tossed the rabbit into the water, and walked away after about two minutes when the animal went still.
A guest at the hotel told officials that he saw the rabbit floating in the pool and that maintenance staff removed it.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Marcus Lamb, head of Daystar, a Christian network that discouraged vaccines, dies after getting COVID-19
- Justices signal they'll OK new abortion limits, may toss Roe
- Omicron prompts swift reconsideration of boosters among scientists
- Mask making your glasses fog up in winter? These tips can help you see clearly
- Trump tested positive for coronavirus before first debate
Rodd is in the Hillsborough County Jail. According to records, he doesn’t yet have an attorney to contact for comment on the case.