TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — A 49-year-old man is accused of drowning his pet rabbit in a hotel swimming pool near Tampa.
The Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office says Steve B. Rodd of Tampa intentionally dropped the rabbit into the pool at the Vista Inn on Friday. He was charged with aggravated cruelty to animals on Monday.
Sheriff’s officials say Rodd stood on the pool deck, tossed the rabbit into the water, and walked away after about two minutes when the animal went still.
A guest at the hotel told officials that he saw the rabbit floating in the pool and that maintenance staff removed it.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Fauci on what working for Trump was really like
- Wealthy couple chartered a plane to the Yukon, took vaccines meant for Indigenous elders, authorities said
- The handwarming story of how Bernie Sanders got his inauguration mittens
- Supreme Court ends Trump emoluments lawsuits
- Biden may be stuck with some Trumpists
Rodd is in the Hillsborough County Jail. According to records, he doesn’t yet have an attorney to contact for comment on the case.