PHOENIX (AP) — A woman was found decapitated along with two dogs in a blood-soaked Phoenix apartment, and police said Sunday they suspect her husband, who was found naked and severely wounded, in the grisly attack.
Police responded Saturday morning after being tipped off by a neighbor, who said the man answered his front door nude with a severed left forearm, a missing eye and cuts on his chest.
The 43-year-old suspect hasn’t been identified, but police say he will be charged in the slaying after he recovers from his wounds, which they believe were self-inflicted. He was in the hospital Sunday after undergoing surgery.
The victim, 49-year-old Trina Heisch, and dogs were discovered in a bedroom closet, police spokesman Trent Crump said.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- A cure for Type 1 diabetes? For one man, it seems to have worked
- International travelers stranded, angry in omicron's wake: 'The first thing I did was cry'
- The best time to get a COVID booster shot: What the science tells us
- Firefighters launch tense rescue after pet tortoise traps pet dog in underground burrow
- Celebrated snowboarder Marko Grilc, 38, dies in accident at resort
The couple have a history of mental illness, domestic violence and drug abuse, he said.
Family members told investigators the couple met at a mental health facility.
The suspect was arrested in 2003 after being accused of attempting to kill an unidentified family member.
Heisch was arrested in March after police said she tried to stab her husband.