PHOENIX (AP) — A woman was found decapitated along with two dogs in a blood-soaked Phoenix apartment, and police said Sunday they suspect her husband, who was found naked and severely wounded, in the grisly attack.
Police responded Saturday morning after being tipped off by a neighbor, who said the man answered his front door nude with a severed left forearm, a missing eye and cuts on his chest.
The 43-year-old suspect hasn’t been identified, but police say he will be charged in the slaying after he recovers from his wounds, which they believe were self-inflicted. He was in the hospital Sunday after undergoing surgery.
The victim, 49-year-old Trina Heisch, and dogs were discovered in a bedroom closet, police spokesman Trent Crump said.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Washington state extremist pays a price after unmasking by left
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Canada eases border rules for its citizens and residents
- Scorching hot in Phoenix: What it’s like to work in 115 degrees
- They put up a Pride flag. A homeowners group said take it down
The couple have a history of mental illness, domestic violence and drug abuse, he said.
Family members told investigators the couple met at a mental health facility.
The suspect was arrested in 2003 after being accused of attempting to kill an unidentified family member.
Heisch was arrested in March after police said she tried to stab her husband.