ELYRIA, Ohio (AP) — A pedestrian accused of biting off part of an Ohio trooper’s ear has been indicted on charges including felonious assault and kidnapping.
Court documents show that the Lorain County grand jury in Elyria (eh-LEER’-ee-uh) also indicted Cornelius Carey recently on charges of obstructing official business and resisting arrest.
The State Highway Patrol said a trooper responding to a report of a man walking in the roadway approached Carey on Jan. 11 along a road near LaGrange, roughly 30 miles (48 kilometers) southwest of Cleveland. The patrol says the 44-year-old Elyria man became confrontational, hit the male trooper and then bit him during the struggle before the officer was able to subdue and handcuff Carey.
The trooper was treated at a hospital.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- In Malibu, Woolsey Fire claims celebrities' homes
- France strikes back against Trump, emphasizing a lack of 'common decency'
- Guard troops search for more wildfire victims; 56 dead WATCH
- Shot in the neck at 17, this is the trauma surgeon now leading doctors against gun violence and NRA
- Police think Alexa may have witnessed a double slaying — now they want Amazon to turn her over
A message seeking comment was left for Carey’s attorney.