MILWAUKEE (AP) — A male gorilla has died at the Milwaukee County Zoo after experiencing some health problems.
Zoo officials say 31-year-old Cassius died sometime Thursday night. His exact cause of death is unknown. But in recent days he had not been interested in food or water.
An exam found his heart might not have been fully contracting, and he experienced decreased liver and kidney function. Full exam results will be available in coming weeks.
Cassius was born at the Gladys Porter Zoo in Brownsville, Texas, and arrived in Milwaukee in 1998.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump campaign selling email and phone lists for millions of supporters
- Did you see that painting hanging behind Trump during ‘60 Minutes’ interview? Here's what we know about it
- Sen. Warren: DNA test shows I have Native American heritage
- Alec Baldwin urges 'overthrow' of Trump government via voting
- Prince Harry, Meghan expecting child in spring
He was the father of the zoo’s most recent gorilla baby, Zahra, and was part of Zahra’s family group. Zoo officials say the group will be monitored closely and won’t be on exhibit for some time.