MILWAUKEE (AP) — A male gorilla has died at the Milwaukee County Zoo after experiencing some health problems.
Zoo officials say 31-year-old Cassius died sometime Thursday night. His exact cause of death is unknown. But in recent days he had not been interested in food or water.
An exam found his heart might not have been fully contracting, and he experienced decreased liver and kidney function. Full exam results will be available in coming weeks.
Cassius was born at the Gladys Porter Zoo in Brownsville, Texas, and arrived in Milwaukee in 1998.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Boeing 787 flight reaches 801 mph as a furious jet stream packs record-breaking speeds
- Peter Tork, endearingly offbeat bassist and singer in the Monkees, dies at 77 VIEW
- 'I ruined my life. I ruined my future': Two American wives of ISIS militants want to come home
- Rare snow dusts Vegas strip, sticks to LA-area foothills VIEW
- In war, as with California wildfires, heroism lives next to horror
He was the father of the zoo’s most recent gorilla baby, Zahra, and was part of Zahra’s family group. Zoo officials say the group will be monitored closely and won’t be on exhibit for some time.