NEW YORK (AP) — Madonna’s emotional speech in support of feminism at Billboard’s Women in Music awards has earned kudos from Lady Gaga.
Madonna opened her remarks after accepting the Woman of the Year award by thanking the audience for acknowledging her 34-year career in the face of what she called “blatant sexism and misogyny and constant bullying and relentless abuse.” She called herself a “bad feminist” who didn’t deny her sexuality.
Lady Gaga told Madonna on Twitter Monday night that her speech was “inspiring” and added, “You’re so brave & strong. Thanks for being that for us girls we need that.”
The ceremony was Friday and was broadcast Monday night on Lifetime.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- At-home COVID-19 tests: What to know about expiration dates, new variants
- Iran’s president threatens U.S. officials from the U.N. podium, dimming hopes for a rapprochement
- Lawmaker proposes sending WA families a gas tax refund check
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- A surfer wanted to catch waves from Hurricane Lee. A shark bit his face