LOS ANGELES (AP) — Madonna is pirouetting back into the director’s chair.
MGM Motion Picture Group president Jonathan Glickman says Tuesday that the pop music icon will direct a film based on ballet dancer Michaela DePrince’s memoir “Taking Flight: From War Orphan to Star Ballerina.”
DePrince overcame a childhood in war-stricken Sierra Leone to become a world class ballerina. She made her debut at age 17 in South Africa’s Joburg Ballet and also appeared in Beyonce’s “Lemonade.”
Madonna has directed two previous features: The 2008 comedy “Filth and Wisdom” and the Wallis Simpson drama “W.E.” She is also working on a film adaptation of the novel “The Impossible Lives of Greta Wells.”
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Justices won't hear states' appeal over Planned Parenthood
- Dog that waited weeks in ruins of California wildfire is reunited with owner WATCH
- Trump blames lawyer Michael Cohen for hush money 'liability'
- Need a transplant? First you'll need to prove you can afford it
- Yukon trapper shoots attacking grizzly — then finds his family already mauled to death
No cast or release date is set for “Taking Flight,” but “Fresh Off the Boat” writer Camilla Blackett will pen the screenplay.