PARIS (AP) — Pop star Madonna has staged an impromptu concert at Paris’ Republique plaza to honor victims of the Nov. 13 attacks in which 130 people died.
The singer, who had just finished her show in Paris Wednesday evening, tweeted to her fans: “Im singing some songs in place de la republique. Meet me there now.”
Accompanied by a guitarist, she performed songs including John Lennon’s “Imagine” — a song that became an unofficial anthem in the aftermath of the attacks.
The iconic statue at Republique, transformed into an informal memorial since the attacks, is piled with flowers and candles left by passers-by.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Hawaii to allow travelers to skip quarantine with virus test
- Barr told prosecutors to consider sedition charges for protest violence, asked about charging Seattle mayor
- You don't need to wipe down everything to protect yourself from the coronavirus
- Twisted Sister singer to anti-maskers: Don't use our song
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events