BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) — Authorities say a Louisiana teenager has been arrested in connection with the death of a baby girl who was under his care.
News outlets report the 17-year-old boy was arrested on Monday and charged with cruelty to a juvenile and second-degree murder in the death of 8-month-old Katelynn Carter. Authorities say he is the boyfriend of the infant’s mother.
Baton Rouge police spokesman Don Coppola says the baby became unresponsive on Sunday while under his care. The baby was taken to a hospital, where she later died.
Detectives saw bruises all over the child’s body and an autopsy determined that several blunt-force injuries caused the girl’s death.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Author Salman Rushdie stabbed on lecture stage in New York
- A child abductee's journey back
- FBI seized top secret documents in Trump estate search
- Anne Heche, TV, film and stage actor, dies at 53 from injuries sustained in L.A. car crash
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
News reports say the teenager admitted physically abusing the baby. It’s unclear if the teenager has a lawyer.