BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) — With a severe flu season rippling across Louisiana, the state health department is offering free flu vaccines at more than 55 parish health units.
The vaccines are available Jan. 31 from 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Clinic information is available on the health department website .
The health department says walk-ups are welcome, and people seeking vaccines are asked to wear short or loose-fitting sleeves and bring an insurance, Medicaid or Medicare card if they have one.
State immunization medical director Frank Welch says this year’s severe flu season could exceed the 700 deaths seen in past intense seasons.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Debunking 5 viral rumors about Christine Blasey Ford, Kavanaugh’s accuser
- GOP, Kavanaugh accuser in standoff over her Senate testimony WATCH
- Patti Davis: Why I don't recall all the details of my sexual assault
- Memory's frailty may be playing role in Kavanaugh matter
- In 1992, Cory Booker admitted to groping a high school classmate and issued a call for sexual respect
While 5 percent of people seek medical care for flu-like symptoms in a typical season, the health department says the number this year is more than 10 percent.