SLIDELL, La. (AP) — A 25-year-old Louisiana man faces a first-degree murder charge in the beating death of his 7-week-old son.
St. Tammany Parish Sheriff Randy Smith said Tuesday that Anthony Dearmas, of the Slidell area, about 32 miles (51 kilometers) northeast of New Orleans, is being held in the death of Karter Smith from head injuries.
He says in a news release that Dearmas made up a story at first, but eventually told detectives he knocked the baby off a couch because he kept crying, and that Karter fell on his head.
He was arrested last Wednesday on a second-degree cruelty charge. Sheriff’s Capt. Daniel Seuzeneau (soo-zuh-NOH) says the charge was upgraded after the child died Saturday. An autopsy Monday determined the cause of death to be blunt force trauma to the head.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- After Roe, architect of Texas abortion law sets sights on gay marriage and more
- Bezos lashes out at Biden over call for lowering of gas prices
- 6 dead, 30 hurt in shooting at Chicago-area July 4 parade
- Kamala Harris could break a record. Democrats wish she didn't have to
- Once a crucial refuge, ‘gayborhoods’ lose LGBTQ appeal in major cities