CHALMETTE, La. (AP) — A grand jury has indicted a man accused of attacking his ex-wife in front of her home with an ax as she was leaving for work, killing her.
Multiple media outlets report that 56-year-old Mark Owens was indicted Tuesday on first-degree murder charges in the killing of 48-year-old Kimberly Owens in September.
Authorities say Owens attacked the woman in front of her home in Chalmette, a New Orleans suburb.
St. Bernard Parish Sheriff James Pohlmann said Kimberly Owens had obtained a restraining order against her ex-husband prior to the attack. Police say there was a history of domestic violence.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Author Salman Rushdie stabbed on lecture stage in New York
- A child abductee's journey back
- FBI seized top secret documents in Trump estate search
- Anne Heche, TV, film and stage actor, dies at 53 from injuries sustained in L.A. car crash
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
Owens’ arraignment has been set for next Tuesday.