BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) — Louisiana’s governor and two U.S. senators are attending the White House state dinner with French President Emmanuel Macron.
Democratic Gov. John Bel Edwards and Republican Sens. Bill Cassidy and John Kennedy are on the guest list for Tuesday’s glitzy event at the invitation of President Donald Trump.
Edwards say he and his wife Donna “are honored to participate,” citing Louisiana’s French heritage. Cassidy says he and his wife Laura “look forward to celebrating our countries’ shared history and strong bond, as well as Louisiana’s cultural ties with France.”
While in Washington, the governor will meet with Louisiana’s congressional delegation.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- New research hints at 4 factors that may increase chances of long COVID
- Omicron loosens its hold, but 'this is a choose-your-own-adventure story'
- University mistakenly told 58 students they’d won full rides; it’ll pay their tuition anyway
- Justice Breyer to retire, giving Biden first court pick
- CDC travel warning flags 5 Caribbean destinations as 'very high' risk for COVID-19
Edwards and his transportation secretary, Shawn Wilson, also have scheduled a meeting with Mick Mulvaney, director of Trump’s Office of Management and Budget, to discuss funding for a river diversion project.