OPELOUSAS, La. (AP) — An 11-year-old girl in Louisiana has died after leading police on a car chase.
News outlets report the girl has been identified by the Opelousas Police Department as Bryla Bell.
Opelousas Police Sgt. Crystal Leblanc tells KLFY-TV that officers responding to the Sunday morning chase thought Bryla was being kidnapped. She says police tried to get the vehicle to stop, which resulted in Bryla’s death. She says officers then approached the vehicle and saw Bryla was the driver.
KLFY quotes Bryla’s aunt, Robbin Gradnigo, as saying Bryla was reported missing Sunday after she sneaked out of her bedroom window. Gradnigo says Bryla entered a truck and Bryla’s mother called police and gave chase. KLFY says two unidentified people jumped out of the car and fled when police responded.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- How to find a quality mask (and avoid counterfeits)
- Popular TV anchor catches COVID for a second time: 'This virus is scary'
- Tonga volcano's eruption was so forceful, it may have helped clear Seattle's fog
- Here's the difference between N95 and KN95 masks, and how to spot a fake
- They relied on rapid COVID tests to gather safely; now some wish they hadn't