CANTON, S.D. (AP) — Longtime Lincoln County Sheriff Dennis Johnson says he plans to retire at the end of the year.
He’s been the top law enforcement official in South Dakota’s third-largest county for the past 20 years.
The 59-year-old Johnson has served more than 40 years in law enforcement. He says he has no specific plans for his retirement.
The public will elect a new sheriff in November.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- In Malibu, Woolsey Fire claims celebrities' homes
- France strikes back against Trump, emphasizing a lack of 'common decency'
- Guard troops search for more wildfire victims; 56 dead WATCH
- Police think Alexa may have witnessed a double slaying — now they want Amazon to turn her over
- Shot in the neck at 17, this is the trauma surgeon now leading doctors against gun violence and NRA