CANTON, S.D. (AP) — Longtime Lincoln County Sheriff Dennis Johnson says he plans to retire at the end of the year.
He’s been the top law enforcement official in South Dakota’s third-largest county for the past 20 years.
The 59-year-old Johnson has served more than 40 years in law enforcement. He says he has no specific plans for his retirement.
The public will elect a new sheriff in November.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Owner of 3D-printed gun company accused of sex with minor
- New round of US-China tariffs raise fears of an economic Cold War
- Trump Jr. mocks sexual assault claim against Kavanaugh
- Grizzly's rare aggressive attack kills 1, puzzles officials
- Kavanaugh's accuser wants FBI probe before she testifies WATCH