CANTON, S.D. (AP) — Longtime Lincoln County Sheriff Dennis Johnson says he plans to retire at the end of the year.
He’s been the top law enforcement official in South Dakota’s third-largest county for the past 20 years.
The 59-year-old Johnson has served more than 40 years in law enforcement. He says he has no specific plans for his retirement.
The public will elect a new sheriff in November.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Boeing 787 flight reaches 801 mph as a furious jet stream packs record-breaking speeds
- California parents of 13 plead guilty to torture, abuse VIEW
- Man's shooting-range wedding proposal was right on target
- In war, as with California wildfires, heroism lives next to horror
- Fire deaths rise to 71 ahead of Trump's California visit WATCH