CANTON, S.D. (AP) — Longtime Lincoln County Sheriff Dennis Johnson says he plans to retire at the end of the year.
He’s been the top law enforcement official in South Dakota’s third-largest county for the past 20 years.
The 59-year-old Johnson has served more than 40 years in law enforcement. He says he has no specific plans for his retirement.
The public will elect a new sheriff in November.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- U.S. Naval Academy: New hair rules don't apply to midshipmen
- Nation's new aircraft carrier enters next phase at shipyard
- Portland woman swerves off cliff and survives 7 days trapped on a secluded California beach
- Trump questions US intel, not Putin, on Russia 2016 meddling WATCH
- Trump says summit with Putin was 'even better' than NATO meeting; Republicans criticize his Helsinki comments