CARSON CITY, Nev. (AP) — A 27-year-old Carson City man has been sentenced to life in prison for murder in the beating death of a 2-year-old girl while she was in his care a year ago.
District Judge James Wilson said during Eric Buhl’s sentencing Thursday he’ll be eligible for parole after serving 20 years.
The Nevada Appeal reports that prosecutors presented evidence showing Buhl beat Coahuyana “Chloe” Hernandez last March because she wouldn’t stop screaming.
Buhl originally said the child had fallen down the stairs and lost consciousness, but changed his story a number of times.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- In Malibu, Woolsey Fire claims celebrities' homes
- France strikes back against Trump, emphasizing a lack of 'common decency'
- Guard troops search for more wildfire victims; 56 dead WATCH
- Shot in the neck at 17, this is the trauma surgeon now leading doctors against gun violence and NRA
- Migrant caravan groups arrive by hundreds at US border VIEW
The county medical examiner’s office determined May 2 the death was a homicide from blunt force trauma.
Buhl said at sentencing he deserved to be punished for what he did.
Information from: Nevada Appeal, http://www.nevadaappeal.com