CARSON CITY, Nev. (AP) — A 27-year-old Carson City man has been sentenced to life in prison for murder in the beating death of a 2-year-old girl while she was in his care a year ago.
District Judge James Wilson said during Eric Buhl’s sentencing Thursday he’ll be eligible for parole after serving 20 years.
The Nevada Appeal reports that prosecutors presented evidence showing Buhl beat Coahuyana “Chloe” Hernandez last March because she wouldn’t stop screaming.
Buhl originally said the child had fallen down the stairs and lost consciousness, but changed his story a number of times.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Boeing 787 flight reaches 801 mph as a furious jet stream packs record-breaking speeds
- Peter Tork, endearingly offbeat bassist and singer in the Monkees, dies at 77 VIEW
- Rare snow dusts Vegas strip, sticks to LA-area foothills VIEW
- 'I ruined my life. I ruined my future': Two American wives of ISIS militants want to come home
- US: Alabama woman who joined Islamic State is not a citizen
The county medical examiner’s office determined May 2 the death was a homicide from blunt force trauma.
Buhl said at sentencing he deserved to be punished for what he did.
Information from: Nevada Appeal, http://www.nevadaappeal.com