PHOENIX (AP) — Republican Sen. Debbie Lesko of Peoria has resigned from the Arizona Legislature to run for her party’s nomination for a vacant Phoenix-area congressional seat.
Lesko resigned Monday to run for the 8th Congressional District seat vacated by Rep. Trent Franks, who resigned amid sexual harassment allegations.
The Maricopa County Board of Supervisors will name a replacement for Lesko.
A special primary election for Franks’ former seat is set for next month.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- L.A. Times restaurant critic Jonathan Gold loved food and his city, was beloved by readers
- Portland woman swerves off cliff and survives 7 days trapped on a secluded California beach
- Why did a Russian pay $95M to buy Trump’s Palm Beach mansion?
- Documents used to wiretap Trump ex-adviser Carter Page disclosed
- Hundreds at vigils mourn victims of Branson boat accident WATCH