PHOENIX (AP) — Republican Sen. Debbie Lesko of Peoria has resigned from the Arizona Legislature to run for her party’s nomination for a vacant Phoenix-area congressional seat.
Lesko resigned Monday to run for the 8th Congressional District seat vacated by Rep. Trent Franks, who resigned amid sexual harassment allegations.
The Maricopa County Board of Supervisors will name a replacement for Lesko.
A special primary election for Franks’ former seat is set for next month.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Turkey: 'Atrocious' recording suggests killer used drugs VIEW
- Sheriff: California wildfire's death toll rises to 48 WATCH
- A reader's guide to 12 Trump administration targets House Democrats are preparing to investigate
- Utility emailed Northern California woman about power-line problems 1 day before fire
- Dead in cars and homes: Northern California fire toll at 42 VIEW