PHOENIX (AP) — Republican Sen. Debbie Lesko of Peoria has resigned from the Arizona Legislature to run for her party’s nomination for a vacant Phoenix-area congressional seat.
Lesko resigned Monday to run for the 8th Congressional District seat vacated by Rep. Trent Franks, who resigned amid sexual harassment allegations.
The Maricopa County Board of Supervisors will name a replacement for Lesko.
A special primary election for Franks’ former seat is set for next month.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- California parents of 13 plead guilty to torture, abuse VIEW
- Boeing 787 flight reaches 801 mph as a furious jet stream packs record-breaking speeds
- India orders 'staggering' eviction of 1 million indigenous people
- Year in space put US astronaut's disease defenses on alert
- In war, as with California wildfires, heroism lives next to horror