London fire officials say about 1,200 people were briefly evacuated from a performance of the musical "Les Miserables" because of a small fire at a theater.
London fire officials say about 1,200 people were briefly evacuated from a performance of the musical “Les Miserables” because of a small fire at a theater.
The fire department said the venue was evacuated as a precaution after high-voltage cable joints failed and caused a small fire at the Queen’s Theatre in central London.
Theater goers and the musical’s cast had to take a break from Saturday afternoon’s matinee performance, but fire officials said the venue was declared safe shortly after. There were no reports of injuries.
“Les Miserables” is one of the West End’s most popular attractions. The show celebrates its 30th anniversary in the capital this year.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- U.S. warns against travel to 80% of world due to coronavirus
- The 12 jurors deliberating in the trial of Derek Chauvin
- Tesla with 'no one' driving crashes in Texas, killing two people
- Image of Queen Elizabeth II sitting alone at Philip's funeral breaks hearts around the world
- COVID once spared the young. Now more are being hospitalized.