London fire officials say about 1,200 people were briefly evacuated from a performance of the musical "Les Miserables" because of a small fire at a theater.
London fire officials say about 1,200 people were briefly evacuated from a performance of the musical “Les Miserables” because of a small fire at a theater.
The fire department said the venue was evacuated as a precaution after high-voltage cable joints failed and caused a small fire at the Queen’s Theatre in central London.
Theater goers and the musical’s cast had to take a break from Saturday afternoon’s matinee performance, but fire officials said the venue was declared safe shortly after. There were no reports of injuries.
“Les Miserables” is one of the West End’s most popular attractions. The show celebrates its 30th anniversary in the capital this year.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- You should probably replace some of your fabric face masks
- Honestie Hodges, whose mistreatment by police led to changes, dies of COVID. She was 14.
- Trump pardons Flynn despite guilty plea in Russia probe
- Secret Hasidic wedding in Brooklyn draws thousands of guests, $15K fine
- A Trump-boosting sheriff earned White House visits. Now she's charged with theft.