NEWARK, N.J. (AP) — Three Newark residents are suing Mayor Ras Baraka for allegedly having city police officers escort a hip hop DJ from New York City to the mayor’s birthday party.
The lawsuit filed last week claims Baraka misused city funds by having police escort DJ Funkmaster Flex to Baraka’s birthday celebration at Newark’s Prudential Center on April 9.
Video posted on Funkmaster Flex’s Facebook page appears to show him in a car following another car with flashing lights as it heads into the Holland Tunnel. Sirens can be heard.
A court appearance is scheduled for Tuesday.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Where you're most likely to catch COVID: New study highlights high-risk locations
- You had breakthrough COVID. Can you start living like it’s 2019?
- McConnell: Black people vote at similar rates to 'Americans'
- Much of nation isn't active enough — but WA residents are exception, CDC says
- US charges Belarus with air piracy in reporter's arrest
The lawsuit also claims Baraka violated campaign laws by mailing a flyer to residents within 90 days of an election.
A spokesman for the mayor says the city will seek to have the suit dismissed.