RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Virginia House Speaker Kirk Cox is opposing a proposed industrial megasite in Chesterfield County.
The Richmond Times-Dispatch reports that Cox and Sen. Amanda Chase criticized the megasite proposal last week.
The two Republicans are joining a chorus of residents who have opposed putting a large industrial site near residential neighborhoods.
County officials are hoping to entice a large automotive or aerospace manufacturer to a 1,700-acre (700-hectare) site at the southern end of the suburban Richmond county.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- They relied on rapid COVID tests to gather safely; now some wish they hadn't
- New sequence of images shows Tonga volcano's devastation
- Cracker Barrel served a cleaning chemical to a customer; now the restaurant must pay him $9.3M
- How to find a quality mask (and avoid counterfeits)
- A hiker went camping despite warnings about severe winter weather. Six rescuers in snowshoes had to save him.
Former Gov. Terry McAuliffe announced plans for the site last year before leaving office.
Information from: Richmond Times-Dispatch, http://www.richmond.com