RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — A Virginia lawmaker says drawing names from a bowl is not the best way to determine the outcome of an election recount.
The Daily Press reported Monday that Del. Marcia Price has introduced a proposal to hold a special election the next time a recount vote results in a tie.
Officials resorted to drawing names to break the tie between Republican Del. David Yancey and his challenger, Shelly Simonds, in the 94th district. The drawing resulted in Yancey retaining his seat.
Price’s bill would have a limited effect. State law also requires the drawing of lots if there is a tie in the regular election. Her proposal does not address that situation.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Hundreds at vigils mourn victims of Branson boat accident WATCH
- Cohen secretly taped Trump discussing payment to Playboy model
- Portland woman swerves off cliff and survives 7 days trapped on a secluded California beach
- As president-elect, Trump was shown classified evidence of Putin’s hand in 2016 meddling
- Pilots recount rescue of suicidal man on Mount Hood
Information from: Daily Press, http://www.dailypress.com/