RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — A Virginia lawmaker says drawing names from a bowl is not the best way to determine the outcome of an election recount.
The Daily Press reported Monday that Del. Marcia Price has introduced a proposal to hold a special election the next time a recount vote results in a tie.
Officials resorted to drawing names to break the tie between Republican Del. David Yancey and his challenger, Shelly Simonds, in the 94th district. The drawing resulted in Yancey retaining his seat.
Price’s bill would have a limited effect. State law also requires the drawing of lots if there is a tie in the regular election. Her proposal does not address that situation.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Dead in cars and homes: Northern California fire toll at 42 VIEW
- New exercise guidelines: Move more, sit less, start younger WATCH
- Scientists to study the 'modern miracle' of Ozzy Osbourne's survival
- Heart meeting features fish oil, vitamin D, cholesterol news
- Stan Lee, creator of a galaxy of Marvel superheroes, dies VIEW
Information from: Daily Press, http://www.dailypress.com/