MONTPELIER, Vt. (AP) — Officials are anticipating a large crowd to attend a student-organized rally against gun violence in Vermont’s capital city.
The march and rally is taking place Saturday in Montpelier to coincide with other March for Our Lives events in Washington, D.C. and around the country in support of victims of the school shooting in Parkland, Florida.
The Burlington Free Press reports that more than 1,500 people have indicated on Facebook that they would attend.
The January 2017 Women’s March in Montpelier attracted thousands of people, overwhelming the small city and highway exists.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- George Santos is accused of sexual harassment in his Capitol office
- In 1970, Mississippi banned 'Sesame Street' for showing Black and white kids playing
- US downs Chinese balloon, drawing a threat from China
- A patient declared dead is found in a body bag gasping for air
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
According to the March for Our Lives website, smaller events are planned in other parts of the state, in Rutland, Middlebury, Manchester, Putney and Bennington.
The events are happening as Vermont lawmakers consider restrictions on gun access.