NEW YORK (AP) — Officials say an early morning house fire in New York killed a Queens landlord and displaced nearly a dozen of his tenants and family members.
The New York City Fire Department says 68-year-old Mohinvei Singh was found in the basement of his home early Sunday after the fire was extinguished. Authorities pronounced him dead at the scene.
Thirty-two-year-old Raman Deol, Singh’s son-in-law, says the landlord went to check on the basement after they awoke to smoke filling the house.
The fire was brought under control at 3:40 a.m. FDNY officials say the fire began in a basement breaker box and they are investigating.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- What to know about the fall equinox
- Jimmy Carter’s final chapter continues with peanut butter ice cream and an upcoming 99th birthday
- A toddler lost in the woods is found asleep using family dog as a pillow
- Mother gets 78-year prison term for killing daughters, 15 and 5, in Virginia
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events