BILLINGS, Mont. (AP) — A 34-year-old Lame Deer man has pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder in the beating death of a 41-year-old woman last year.
The Billings Gazette reports Whitebird Limpy entered his plea in federal court in Billings on Tuesday. U.S. Magistrate Judge Timothy Cavan ordered Limpy to remain in custody.
Limpy is charged with killing Julia Stump on Nov. 12, 2016. Her body was found near U.S. Highway 212 on the Northern Cheyenne Indian Reservation.
Limpy was initially charged with criminal homicide in tribal court, where the maximum sentence by law is one year for a Class A felony. The status of his case in tribal court is not clear.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Iraq broils in dangerous 120-degree heat as power grid shuts down
- Forest Service ‘legend’ among the four killed in McKinney fire
- Clu Gulager, rugged character actor of film and TV, dies at 93
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Texas church criticized for its take on ‘Hamilton’
Information from: The Billings Gazette, http://www.billingsgazette.com