NEW BERN, N.C. (AP) — People aren’t the only ones being pulled from floodwaters in parts of eastern North Carolina inundated by Florence .
Rescuers are helping pets to safety, too, including one aptly named kitten: Survivor.
The News & Observer in Raleigh reported that Robert Simmons Jr. was among those seeking refuge Friday afternoon in New Bern, a city near the coast that’s bordered by two rivers and has been swamped with water.
The newspaper reports Simmons climbed into a rescue boat with Survivor. Photos and video showed the tiny animal drenched, mewing and clinging to Simmons.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Harry and Meghan in exile? Palace reportedly eyes Africa move for couple — 'as far away as possible' from William
- Elusive red sprites, like glowing jellyfish in the night sky, photographed in Oklahoma
- Sri Lanka military gets special powers after deadly bombings VIEW
- Claims of shoddy production draw scrutiny to a second Boeing jet
- SpaceX suffers serious setback with crew capsule accident
Rescuers have been working to get stranded people to safety since the water started rising late Thursday. The city said Saturday that all rescues had been completed, with just over 450 people taken to dry ground.
For the latest on Hurricane Florence, visit https://www.apnews.com/tag/Hurricanes .