PALATKA, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say a 3-year-old girl reported kidnapped more than a year ago in South Florida has been found with her mother about 280 miles away.
Multiple news outlets report that 23-year-old Megan E. Everett was arrested by the Putnam County Sheriff’s Office on Monday when a tip came in because her story was featured on the CNN program “The Hunt with John Walsh,” on Sunday.
Sunrise police say the child has been placed into protective custody.
The girl’s father, 27-year-old Robert Baumann of Davie, says investigators told him the tip came from a landlord who was renting out a property to Everett in Palatka.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Hikers found dead on California trail spent final moments trying to save baby, report says
- COVID kills a leading anti-vaccine televangelist; evangelicals don't want to talk about it
- Stuck jet stream, La Niña causing weird weather
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Which booster shot is best? Study of 7 COVID vaccines pinpoints the effects of each
According to the FBI, the child was reported missing May 2014, when Everett failed to return her daughter to Baumann as directed in their custody agreement.