PALATKA, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say a 3-year-old girl reported kidnapped more than a year ago in South Florida has been found with her mother about 280 miles away.
Multiple news outlets report that 23-year-old Megan E. Everett was arrested by the Putnam County Sheriff’s Office on Monday when a tip came in because her story was featured on the CNN program “The Hunt with John Walsh,” on Sunday.
Sunrise police say the child has been placed into protective custody.
The girl’s father, 27-year-old Robert Baumann of Davie, says investigators told him the tip came from a landlord who was renting out a property to Everett in Palatka.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Washington state extremist pays a price after unmasking by left
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Scorching hot in Phoenix: What it’s like to work in 115 degrees
- They put up a Pride flag. A homeowners group said take it down
- Canada eases border rules for its citizens and residents
According to the FBI, the child was reported missing May 2014, when Everett failed to return her daughter to Baumann as directed in their custody agreement.