NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — A Kentucky priest has been installed as bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Nashville.
The Tennessean reports the Rev. J. Mark Spalding took his new role during a ceremony Friday at the Catholic Pastoral Center in Nashville.
The Nashville Diocese covers 38 counties in Middle Tennessee and includes about 76,000 registered Catholics.
Spalding is a native of Fredericktown, Kentucky. He was ordained in 1991 and has served in a number of roles in the Archdiocese of Louisville, including vicar general.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Homeless Samaritan tale raised $400K. Police say it's a lie
- California fire has claimed 63 as missing list grows to 631 WATCH
- Sheriff: California wildfire's death toll rises to 48 WATCH
- In Malibu, Woolsey Fire claims celebrities' homes
- Julian Assange has been charged, prosecutors reveal inadvertently in court filing
Former Nashville Bishop David Choby died on June 3.
Information from: The Tennessean, http://www.tennessean.com