LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — The U.S. Senate has confirmed a Kentucky native to head the Army Corps of Engineers.
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s office said in a news release that R.D. James was confirmed Thursday as assistant secretary of the Army for civil works.
James is a Fulton County native and 1971 University of Kentucky graduate. He currently resides in New Madrid, Missouri.
Former President Ronald Reagan appointed James to serve on the Mississippi River Commission, and he held the position for 36 years.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Turkey: 'Atrocious' recording suggests killer used drugs VIEW
- In Malibu, Woolsey Fire claims celebrities' homes
- Sheriff: California wildfire's death toll rises to 48 WATCH
- A reader's guide to 12 Trump administration targets House Democrats are preparing to investigate
- Utility emailed Northern California woman about power-line problems 1 day before fire