BENTON, Ky. (AP) — A Kentucky high school where two students were killed in a shooting last week put several new security procedures into place this week.
Starting Tuesday, Marshall County High School in Benton began requiring all students to have their bags, backpacks and purses checked before entering, its website said. Students arriving by car, riding buses and needing wheelchair access have separate designated entrances. Those arriving later are required to check in at the office.
Authorities said 14 students were wounded by gunfire and seven others injured trying to flee when a classmate opened fire before school started on Jan. 23. A 15-year-old boy is being held on murder and assault charges. The school reopened Friday.
Larry Zacheretti, head of neighboring McCracken County Schools’ team of resource officers, told The Paducah Sun that he expects the shooting to prompt many schools to evaluate and change security procedures. He said he’s advised local schools to spend more money on armed resource officers.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Nation's new aircraft carrier enters next phase at shipyard
- John Cynn claims World Series of Poker title, wins $8.8M VIEW
- Trump's remarks about changing European culture draw ire WATCH
- Meet the brains behind the 'Trump Baby' balloon
- Arizona man arrested after trying to pull over troopers
McCracken County’s team reports directly to school officials, operating independently from area law enforcement, The Sun reported. It was commissioned after a fatal shooting at Heath High School, which marked its 20th anniversary in December.
Information from: The Paducah Sun, http://www.paducahsun.com