KANSAS CITY, Kan. (AP) — A Kansas Board of Regents member and commissioner for the Unified Government of Wyandotte County and Kansas City, Kansas, has been arrested on suspicion of domestic battery.
The Kansas City Star reports that 50-year-old Ann Brandau-Murguia was arrested Friday evening and booked into the Wyandotte County Detention Center. She was released on her own recognizance a short time later. Brandau-Murguia is the wife of Kansas U.S District Judge Carlos Murguia.
While the booking report indicates Brandau-Murguia committed bodily harm to a family member, Brandau-Murguia said in a statement posted on her professional Facebook page that the incident involved a longtime friend, not a family member.
Brandau-Murguia said in the statement that she and the friend “were involved in a misunderstanding that resulted in an argument and physical contact.”
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- U.S. Naval Academy: New hair rules don't apply to midshipmen
- Nation's new aircraft carrier enters next phase at shipyard
- Portland woman swerves off cliff and survives 7 days trapped on a secluded California beach
- Trump backs down under fire, 'clarifies' on Russia meddling WATCH
- Trump says he accepts US intelligence on Russian interference in election but denies collusion
Contacted Saturday through a Facebook message, Brandau-Murguia referred The Associated Press to her written statement.
Information from: The Kansas City Star, http://www.kcstar.com