KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — Kansas City police say one person is dead and six children are critically injured after a car accident that happened amid a gunfight. A seventh person was wounded by gunfire.
Sgt. Kari Thompson said in a statement that police believe the occupants of two vehicles were exchanging gunfire Tuesday night when one vehicle struck a nearby uninvolved vehicle.
Thompson says 30-year-old Mariana Hernandez-Gonzales was in the uninvolved vehicle when she was killed. Six children who were passengers in the same vehicle were taken to hospitals in critical condition.
She says an occupant of one vehicle involved in the gunfight was also hospitalized in critical condition.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies at 87
- A teenager tested positive for coronavirus. His parents sent him to school anyway.
- Twisted Sister singer to anti-maskers: Don't use our song
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Homes destroyed after winds push California fire into desert VIEW
Thompson tells The Associated Press police have a person of interest in custody.
No identities were released, and no further details were immediately available.