KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — Kansas City police say one person is dead and six children are critically injured after a car accident that happened amid a gunfight. A seventh person was wounded by gunfire.
Sgt. Kari Thompson said in a statement that police believe the occupants of two vehicles were exchanging gunfire Tuesday night when one vehicle struck a nearby uninvolved vehicle.
Thompson says 30-year-old Mariana Hernandez-Gonzales was in the uninvolved vehicle when she was killed. Six children who were passengers in the same vehicle were taken to hospitals in critical condition.
She says an occupant of one vehicle involved in the gunfight was also hospitalized in critical condition.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Wild horses adopted under a federal program are going to slaughter
- Beneath Biden’s folksy demeanor, a short fuse and an obsession with details
- The Gateses’ public split spotlights a secretive fortune, with a hush-hush Kirkland entity at the center
- Why is COVID-19 killing so many young children in Brazil? Doctors are baffled
- Some aren't ready to give up masks despite new CDC guidance
Thompson tells The Associated Press police have a person of interest in custody.
No identities were released, and no further details were immediately available.