KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — Kansas City police say one person is dead and six children are critically injured after a car accident that happened amid a gunfight. A seventh person was wounded by gunfire.
Sgt. Kari Thompson said in a statement that police believe the occupants of two vehicles were exchanging gunfire Tuesday night when one vehicle struck a nearby uninvolved vehicle.
Thompson says 30-year-old Mariana Hernandez-Gonzales was in the uninvolved vehicle when she was killed. Six children who were passengers in the same vehicle were taken to hospitals in critical condition.
She says an occupant of one vehicle involved in the gunfight was also hospitalized in critical condition.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- She was told surgery would cost about $1,300. Then the bill came: $229,000
- CDC urges adults 50 and older to get a 2nd booster
- Don’t take a rapid COVID test too soon: How and when to swab
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- The angry white populist who paved the way for Trump
Thompson tells The Associated Press police have a person of interest in custody.
No identities were released, and no further details were immediately available.